This ad is expired.
- Campus Police Officer
- Go to our website »
Campus Police Officer
Salary: $55,860.00 - $61,584.00 Annually
Job Type: Full Time
Job Number: FY2223-00032
Location: Cuesta College - San Luis Obispo Campus & Paso Robles North County Campus, CA
Department: Administrative Services
Job Description Summary
This is a continuous recruitment. Applications will be reviewed by the hiring committee on the following dates: August 25, 2022, October 24, 2022, January 6, 2023, January 23, 2023, April 24, 2023.
Please have your complete application package (see Additional Information) submitted by 11:59 pm the day prior to the review date to be considered during that review period.
Under general supervision of the Director of Public Safety/Campus Police Chief, perform law enforcement and crime prevention work on the District properties, grounds and facilities. Enforce rules and regulations governing parking, the use of College buildings and grounds; transport and deposit funds; may assign and oversee hourly and student security officers; and perform other related work as required.
The Campus Police Officer class is distinguished from other classes of employment in that incumbents are responsible for law enforcement activities, including the transport and deposit of District funds. Eligibility for this class includes possession of a basic P.O.S.T Certificate or ability to complete P.O.S.T. re-certification, lateral transfer, or graduation from basic police academy and successful completion of physical performance test, background investigation, psychological testing, and medical examination.
ABOUT THE COLLEGE
Located in the heart of scenic San Luis Obispo County, Cuesta College has provided comprehensive associate degree offerings, certificates, and community programs to the region since 1964. Committed to being an inclusive institution that inspires a diverse student population to achieve their educational goals, we are proud to be designated as an Hispanic-Serving Institution (HSI) by the U.S. Department of Education. Cuesta College is committed to racial and socioeconomic diversity that reflects our student population; we strive to hire candidates that share the value of commitment to diversity and inclusion. As part of the Cuesta College team, you can expect to be part of a collaborative community of faculty, classified staff, administrators, students, and community partners advancing educational excellence with intentional support services leading to student success and completion.
Additional information about the college can be found at
The college planning documents can be found at
Our Student Equity Action Plan can be found at
We offer comprehensive benefit options. Information about benefits can be found at
Essential Functions & Qualifications
- Protect District property and facilities by making inspections on foot, by bicycle, and in a patrol vehicle. Enforce state and county laws. Check buildings for physical safety and security. Inspect and monitors the security of doors, windows and gates. Address any unusual or suspicious activity;
- Report fires or other dangers involving loss or damage;
- Prevent entry and responds to presence of unauthorized persons on grounds or in buildings. Investigate situations and disturbances as needed. Issue warnings or makes arrests as needed. Document incidents relating to observed violations;
- Respond to complaints and hazardous situations. Conduct investigations of reported injuries and accidents. Respond to incidents putting students, staff and the general public at risk or harm;
- Report potential safety problems and/or need for repair;
- Respond to emergency medical needs;
- Issue illegal parking and vehicle code citations;
- Check scheduled meeting rooms to insure that facilities are being used by authorized persons, and that meeting(s) are under control;
- Transport and deposit District funds;
- May serve as liaison between the College and local police and fire departments;
- May train, oversee, and assist in the evaluation of short-term and non-sworn Public Safety Officers;
- Compose clear and concise written reports and records;
- Communicate effectively orally and in writing; and
- Perform other related duties as required.
- Equivalent to graduation from the 12 grade;
- Associate degree with a major in Criminal Justice or a closely related field preferred.
- Experience in educational or municipal law enforcement work; such as an officer with city, county, college, or other local government police agencies.
- Law enforcement methods, security methods, crowd control techniques, and investigative procedures;
- Federal, state, local, and district laws, rules and regulations, including laws of arrest, legal rights of citizens, court procedures and rules of evidence;
- Computer programs necessary for record keeping and databases; and
- Correct English usage: grammar, spelling, vocabulary and punctuation.
- Establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with those contacted in the performance of duties; and
- Demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds of staff and students and of staff and students with physical and learning disabilities.
- Read and comprehend printed matter and text and data on computer monitors;
- Communicate intelligibly and effectively visa speech, telephone, written correspondence; and/or email;
- Work indoors and/or out-of-doors in varying environmental conditions;
- Sit or stand for extended periods of time;
- Stoop, lift and/or carry up to 50 pounds;
- Sufficient visual acuity to accurately observe and report activities and situations; and
- Exert manual dexterity sufficient for keyboard and other office equipment operation.
- Valid California Drivers' License;
- Possession of Basic P.O.S.T. certificate or graduation from Basic Academy with ability to apply for Basic P.O.S.T. certificate;
- Basic First Aid and CPR certificates.
REQUIRED DOCUMENTS TO APPLY
Candidates will be required to submit ALL of the required documents below when applying for this position. When uploading documents, PDF uploads are preferred.
- Cover letter;
- Reference List (see further instructions below).
Completed online applications and all supporting documents must be submitted by the closing date for this position. LATE, INCOMPLETE, FAXED, MAILED OR EMAILED APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.
Below is the full salary schedule range for this position, steps A through E. Per Cuesta College's bargaining agreement, new employees are placed at Steps A through C, which is the anticipated hiring range also listed below. The bargaining agreement also includes step and longevity increases. For a full salary schedule, please see our website: https://www.cuesta.edu/about/depts/humanresources/salary_schedules.html
- Salary Schedule Range: $4,655 - $5,658 per month.
- Anticipated Hiring Range: $4,655 - $5,132 per month.
Cuesta College will not sponsor any visa applications.
San Luis Obispo County Community College District ("Cuesta College") is an equal opportunity employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of race, ethnicity, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, medical condition, pregnancy (including pregnancy, childbirth, and medical conditions related to pregnancy or childbirth), age, disability (physical and mental), genetic information, military and veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal and state law in admission and access to, or treatment in employment, educational programs or activities at any of its campuses. Reasonable accommodations will be provided for applicants with disabilities who self-disclose. Cuesta College also prohibits harassment on any of these bases, including sexual harassment, as well as sexual assault, domestic violence, dating violence, and stalking.
In compliance with California law, all prospective staff and students are entitled to read the Annual Security Report, published each October by the Cuesta College Department of Public Safety. This report contains information about our emergency and crime reporting procedures, as well as crime statistics for the past 3 years. You may request a copy of this report at one of our two Public Safety Offices: on SLO campus at Building 6600A or on North County Campus at building N1021, during campus business hours. You may also access the complete text of this report at the following website address: https://www.cuesta.edu/about/depts/publicsafety/clery_act
Cuesta College uses E-Verify as part of the I-9 process to verify the work eligibility of all new hires. E-Verify is an Internet-based system that compares information from an employee's Form I-9 to data from U.S Department of Homeland Security and Social Security Administration records. For further information, visit: https://www.cuesta.edu/about/depts/humanresources/Job_Opportunities.html
Interview Process Information
Selected applicants will be invited to attend an interview. Applications must be received by 11:59 pm the night before the review date to be considered for the corresponding interview date. All applications received after the review date will be considered in the next review period.
Review date: August 25, 2022 Interview: September 9, 2022
Review date: October 24, 2022 Interview: November 9, 2022
Review date: January 6, 2023 Interview: January 20, 2023
Review date: January 23, 2023 Interview: February 8, 2023
Review date: April 24, 2023 Interview: May 3, 2023
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/cuesta
The San Luis Obispo County Community College District promotes inclusiveness, prohibits discrimination, and encourages all qualified persons to apply. As an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer, Cuesta College actively seeks candidates with diverse backgrounds to assist students, staff, and faculty. For ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) assistance with the application and/or interview process, please contact the Human Resources Office: (805) 546-3129.
Copyright 2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency