This ad is expired.
Sergeant (Police Manager 1)
The Penn State University Police and Public Safety Department has recently undergone an exciting transformation including the centralization of 22 campus locations across the commonwealth. We are seeking an individual interested and committed to serving the diverse community of students, faculty, and staff as a Sergeant, at the University Park campus.
The Pennsylvania State University and each individual employee is committed to and accountable for advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion in all its forms. We, the Penn State University Police and Public Safety, fully embrace individual uniqueness, strive to foster a culture of inclusivity that supports both broad and specific diversity initiatives, leverage the educational and institutional benefits of diversity, and engage all individuals to help them thrive. (http://equity.psu.edu/psu-diversity-statement)
We value inclusivity as a core strength and an essential element of Penn State's commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion and the University Police and Public Safety's public service mission. (http://police.psu.edu/)
The Sergeant is responsible for carrying out the functions of protection of life and property, preservation of peace and good order of the community, enhancement of positive community engagement initiatives, enforcement of laws and university policies/procedures, public safety, investigative work, and other related duties. The successful candidate will be responsible for the prevention of illegal, unsafe, or undesirable activity and regulatory violations through patrol, education, inspection, and the deterrent effect of enforcement. Sergeants will also be expected to enforce National, Federal, State, and local laws, as well as University regulations, through investigation, apprehension, and prosecution of violators.
Successful candidates will possess:
- Skills necessary to enhance public respect for law enforcement and the University with courteous, devoted, and ethical service
- Capacity to work cooperatively with various levels of faculty, staff, students, and outside agencies
- Ability to provide effective, honest, and credible testimony at court hearings
- Outstanding customer service orientation; excellent verbal and written communication skills; excellent analytical, judgment, ethical decision-making, and organizational skills
- Ability to work with a wide variety of diverse cultures and backgrounds
- Respect for the constitutional rights of all people to liberty, equality, and justice
- Capability to uphold an excellent standard of conduct at all times, abiding by laws, regulations, and policies
The selected individual will report to a patrol lieutenant and will coordinate the work of sworn staff and oversee the daily operations of the police force at the University Park campus.
Responsibilities will include:
- Completion of performance evaluations
- Investigations and case management
- Disciplinary process
- Authorizing vacation requests and reviewing employee time cards
- Interpreting and communicating laws and policies, assuring staff comply with established laws and policies
- Representing the department on appropriate committees and assisting with the interpretation of laws and criminal procedure
- May require supervising the parking program, the property inventory and the lost and found program
- Performing all Police Officer duties, as needed
Typically requires a Bachelor's degree or higher plus four years of related experience, or an equivalent combination of education and related experience. A current Pennsylvania Municipal Police Officers' Education and Training Commission (MPOETC) Act 120 Certification is required for employment.
This position requires:
- Successful Background Investigation
- Successful BPAD scenario-based evaluation
- U.S. Citizenship
- Fingerprint background check
- PA State Police Criminal Background Check, PA Child Abuse History Clearance Form, and Federal (FBI) Fingerprint Criminal Background Check
- Operation of a motor vehicle as a part of your job duties - a valid driver's license and successful completion of a motor vehicle records check will be required
- Successful completion of a credit history check, due to the security, financial and fiduciary responsibilities of this position
Please include a cover letter and resume with your application.
Apply online at https://psu.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/PSU_Staff/job/University-Park-Campus/Sergeant--Police-Manager-1-_REQ_0000022846-1
CAMPUS SECURITY CRIME STATISTICS: For more about safety at Penn State, and to review the Annual Security Report which contains information about crime statistics and other safety and security matters, please go to http://www.police.psu.edu/clery/, which will also provide you with detail on how to request a hard copy of the Annual Security Report.
Penn State is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer, and is committed to providing employment opportunities to all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
Copyright 2021 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency