Campus Safety Officer
Requisition Number: 2023S077Posting
Full Time/Part Time: Full Time
Division: Dean of the College
Department: Campus Safety
Wage/Salary Range: 20.77 / hour + 1.50 shift differential
The Office of Campus Safety is responsible for maintaining a safe and secure living and working environment that is conducive to learning, and is consistent with the academic goals and policies of the institution in an environment of respect. Our primary concern is the wellbeing of our students, staff, faculty and visitors. Campus Safety personnel are recognized and authorized with NYS Security Guard status.
Accountable for providing patrol and dispatch (911) services to ensure the safety and security of the university community. Responsible for monitoring all university community members for adherence to the Student Code of Conduct and university policies. Accountable for (1) maintaining a safe and secure living and learning environment for the campus community (2) a customer-oriented approach to providing the full scope of campus safety services and (3) a team-oriented approach to achieving individual and department goals.
Specific duties include but are not limited to the following:
- Maintain comprehensive knowledge of the university and campus safety department policies and procedures.
- Enforce the Student Code of Conduct and university policies.
- Provide information, directions, and general assistance to university community members both in person and via the phone.
- Receive emergency and non-emergency calls requesting Campus Safety assistance. Determine nature, location, and priority of calls to Campus Safety and dispatch personnel accordingly.
- Send and receive radio communications to / from Campus Safety Officers, other campus partners, and outside agencies.
- Coordinate incident response with 911 dispatch and other outside agencies.
- Conduct timely case investigations and write case reports, following established procedures.
- Provide incident response support.
- Monitor and respond to campus fire alarms. Investigate to determine if outside agency response is warranted.
- Maintain required dispatch logs and records.
- Patrol the campus for suspicious and/or illegal behavior, safety hazards, public assistance opportunities.
- Perform building tours and lock-ups / unlocks.
- Provide vehicular and pedestrian traffic control services.
- Assist motorists with disabled vehicles on campus.
- Enforce university parking regulations and issue citations for violations.
- Conduct special event safety and security risk assessments and walkthroughs.
- Participate in special event safety and security details.
- Provide basic first aid and lay first responder emergency medical care.
- Participate in department community outreach programs.
- Provide safety and security education to university community members.
- May train and/or have oversight of others, such as student employees.
This position has been designated as a Campus Security Authority (CSA), in accordance with the federal statutory requirements of the Jeanne Clery Act. CSAs are required to and responsible for reporting allegations of crimes they receive from students and employees to the Campus Safety Department.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills required along with the ability to interact effectively in a diverse community.
- Ability to multitask and perform in a busy and stressful environment is essential.
- Must be able to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Ability to complete assigned tasks and follow up efficiently and promptly is essential.
- An understanding of the constraints and legal/ethical requirements of confidentiality and privilege of information required.
- Must be able to successfully complete the five day Security Officer Academy or demonstrate successful completion of the NYS Police Officer Basic Academy.
- Must be able to successfully complete the departments Campus Safety Officer Field Training program for both components of patrol and dispatch.
- As a designated "essential employee", must be able to remain on duty beyond normal shift or report to duty without advance notice; must be able to work any time of day, day of the week and holiday.
- Ability to work a rotating schedule.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel, enough to enter data, and familiarity with CAD or Banner desired.
- Experience with access control, closed-circuit television (CCTV) or two way radios desired.
- Previous related work experience as a campus safety/security officer or police officer, and/or prior experience working in a college or university public safety environment is preferred.
- Experience in recognizing and resolving and/or referring to emergency and stressful situations highly desired.
- Knowledge of local and state laws desired.
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- Associates degree in criminal justice or related field or equivalent military experience preferred.
Rotating schedule: 4 days on with 3 off, 3 days on with 4 off
Job Open Date:
Job Close Date:
Open Until Filled
Special Instructions Summary
It is the policy of Colgate University not to discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of their race, color, creed, religion, age, sex, pregnancy, national origin, marital status, disability, protected Veterans status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, being or having been victims of domestic violence or stalking, familial status, or any other categories covered by law. Colgate is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. Candidates from historically underrepresented groups, women, persons with disabilities, and protected veterans are encouraged to apply.
CAMPUS CRIME REPORTING AND STATISTICS
The Department of Campus Safety will provide upon request a copy of Colgates Annual Security and Fire Safety Report. This report includes statistics as reported to the United States Department of Education for the previous three years concerning reported: 1. crimes that occurred on-campus; in certain off-campus buildings or property owned or controlled by Colgate University; and on public property within, or immediately adjacent to and accessible from, the campus and 2. fires that occurred in student housing facilities. The report also includes institutional policies concerning campus security and fire safety, such as policies concerning sexual assault, life safety systems, and other related matters. You may access the report from the Clery Compliance web page at: https://www.colgate.edu/about/offices-centers-institutes/dean-college/campus-safety-staff/clery-compliance. Printed copies of this report may be obtained upon request from the Department of Campus Safety via e-mail at email@example.com.
To view the full job posting and apply for this position, go to: https://careers.colgate.edu/postings/5444
Copyright 2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency