This ad is expired.
Public Safety Specialist 1 (Armed)
The Penn State University Police and Public Safety Department has recently undergone an exciting transformation including the centralization of 22 campus locations across the commonwealth. We have a non-sworn, armed, opportunity within the Department of Defense cleared facilities responsible for carrying out the functions of protection of sensitive materials and property, employee safety, preliminary security investigative work and other related duties at the University's Applied Research Laboratory (ARL) facilities.
The Pennsylvania State University and each individual employee is committed to and accountable for advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion in all its forms. We, the Penn State University Police and Public Safety fully embrace individual uniqueness, strive to foster a culture of inclusivity that supports both broad and specific diversity initiatives, leverage the educational and institutional benefits of diversity, and engage all individuals to help them thrive. (http://equity.psu.edu/psu-diversity-statement)
We value inclusivity as a core strength and an essential element of Penn State's commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion and the University Police and Public Safety's public service mission. (http://police.psu.edu/)
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Monitor and enforce University and Department of Defense regulations.
- Patrol designated buildings, ensuring that all necessary security controls and measures are engaged and functional.
- Respond to alarms; investigate and take appropriate action; communicating via radio calls, including requests for assistance or service as needed.
- Conduct preliminary investigations of security and safety incidents.
- Respond to fires, medical emergencies, and other hazardous situations; effect emergency rescue; suppress fires; and take other appropriate action.
- Establish and monitor procedures for employees and visitor controls such as device controls, restricted personnel, search of materials entering and exiting buildings.
- Assist with special University events and other activities, as needed.
Successful candidates will possess:
- Outstanding customer service orientation; excellent verbal and written communication skills; excellent analytical, judgment, ethical decision-making, and organizational skills.
- Ability to work cooperatively with various levels of faculty, staff, students, and outside agencies.
- Ability to provide effective, honest, and credible testimony at court hearings.
- Ability to work with a wide variety of diverse cultures and backgrounds.
- Ability to always uphold an excellent standard of conduct, abiding by laws, regulations, and policies.
The position requires a High School diploma or higher and up to one year of relevant experience. A current PA Act 235 certification, or the ability to obtain one within three (3) months of hire, and the ability to obtain and maintain a Department of Defense security clearance and clearance sponsorship is required for employment. Current PA Act 235 certified individuals preferred.
This position requires:
- Successful University Police and Public Safety Background Investigation
- U.S. Citizenship
- Fingerprint background check
- Operation of a motor vehicle as a part of your job duties - a valid driver's license and successful completion of a motor vehicle records check will be required in addition to standard background checks
- Successful completion of a credit history check, due to the security, financial and fiduciary responsibilities of this position
- Sponsorship with the Applied Research Laboratory will require successful completion of a pre-employment drug screen
- Completion of all Act 235 requirements
- Successful Department of Defense Background investigation
Please include a cover letter and resume with your application.
To find out more about us:
Apply online at https://psu.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/PSU_Staff/job/University-Park-Campus/Public-Safety-Specialist-1--Armed-_REQ_0000012418-1
CAMPUS SECURITY CRIME STATISTICS: For more about safety at Penn State, and to review the Annual Security Report which contains information about crime statistics and other safety and security matters, please go to http://www.police.psu.edu/clery/, which will also provide you with detail on how to request a hard copy of the Annual Security Report.
Penn State is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer, and is committed to providing employment opportunities to all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
Copyright 2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency