This ad is expired.
Vice President of Public Safety
The Vice President of Public Safety (VP of Public Safety) is an inaugural position for the Philadelphia Housing Authority (PHA), the fourth largest housing authority in the United States.
Reporting to the Senior Executive Vice President, Public Safety, Audit and Compliance, and an advisor to the President & CEO, the VP of Public Safety will lead the transformation of PHA's reimagined public safety initiative from the current policing workforce model, to a new public safety structure focused on crime prevention, diversion, social justice, and creating and sustaining secure, safe PHA neighborhoods through collaboration with myriad stakeholders, especially residents, who share PHA's goals for safe, crime free, respectful, inclusive and engaged communities.
The VP of Public Safety is a civilian, managerial position responsible for exercising department leadership, coordinating the administrative and operational functions of the office, and guiding the public safety office team to achieve results by setting clear work expectations, delegating responsibilities, and providing regular and timely feedback.
Essential Functions of the Position
- Directs, plans, and coordinates staff, budgets, and programs for the PHA Office of Public Safety; establishes and maintains public safety standards, policies, and procedures in order to achieve established goals
- Exercises independent judgment within broad policy guidelines; evaluates public safety and enforcement issues, reviews crime trends, develops solutions, and identifies corrective problem-solving strategies
- Directs public safety and emergency services for PHA's Public Housing program, including police, contracted security, investigations, surveillance, emergency response, protection, lease enforcement, call center dispatch and command center services
- In consultation with command staff determines staffing levels, hires, promotes, evaluates performance, and takes disciplinary action in coordination with PHA's human resources department; administers the FOHP collective bargaining agreement
- Sets organizational goals and objectives for all functions; establishes criteria to measure success and determines the effectiveness of each unit within the office
- Creates initiatives that support public safety employee skills development, particularly in community policing, community engagement and conflict de-escalation which increases public safety officers' ability to understand PHA's commitments to the community
- Through subordinate employees, ensures data accuracy and integrity of public safety records
- Liaises with the Philadelphia Police Department senior leadership and Districts which provide basic police services to residents of public housing at the same level as received by any residents of the city, coordinating problem-solving strategies that can address crime and disorder in around public housing units
- Maintains collaborative relationship with the Philadelphia Police Department (PPD) and holds PPD accountable for addressing crime and disorder in and around Public Housing units.
- Ensures ongoing and effective collaboration with PHA's Resident Programs and Partnership (RPP) Department; provides data and trends that help inform the work and supports the efforts of the RPP Diversionary Team.
- Performs other duties as assigned
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's Degree in criminal justice, public administration, or a related field AND a minimum of seven (7) years of experience managing a law enforcement agency or department; OR
- An equivalent combination of education and experience; experience executing modern law enforcement regulations, including case laws governing arrest, rules of evidence, probable cause, use of force, custody of evidence and property, and search and seizure; experience with Pennsylvania criminal justice and court procedures, and records management requirements; experience with Pennsylvania criminal and civil statutes, rules, administrative orders, policies and procedures, and applicable Federal rules and regulations; experience enforcing general orders
Required Skills and Abilities
- Ability to analyze complex public safety and security issues and to develop solutions to address these issues
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively under stressful conditions and in emergency situations
- Demonstrated ability to effectively managing situations requiring diplomacy, fairness, firmness, and sound judgment
- Ability to prioritize multiple tasks, projects, and demands
- Demonstrated experience working with socio-economically diverse populations
- Ability to review, analyze and use data to make informed proactive decisions
- reference for and demonstrated effectiveness interacting with diverse stakeholders including those of varied social, economic, and ethnic backgrounds
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with local, state, and federal law enforcement entities as well as elected officials
- Demonstrated ability to operate a personal computer utilizing standard and specialized software
- Effective communication skills are required
License and Certification Requirements
- Valid Commonwealth of Pennsylvania driver's license is required
Copyright 2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency